Pages

March 12, 2010

Eleanor Roosevelt


I wrote this for New Moon Girls, my favorite website. 

I've loved Eleanor Roosevelt for as long as I can remember. I even named my doll after her when I was little!
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was born on October 11, 1884 to Elliott Roosevelt and Anna Hall Roosevelt. She was born incredibly rich and she was so serious that her mother called her "Granny"  
On  March 17, 1905 (St. Patrick's Day!) she married her fifth cousin once removed, Franklin D. Roosevelt. She was a First Lady, diplomat, Democrat, and an activist.
She was in office March 4, 1933 – April 12, 1945. She had 5 children,  Anna Eleanor, James, Elliott, Franklin and John. She died on November 7, 1962 at the age of 78.
After her death, United Nations Ambassador Adlai Stevenson said, "The United States, the United Nations, the world, has lost one of its great citizens. Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt is dead, and a cherished friend of all mankind is gone."
She is one of my biggest role models, and an  inspiration to girls everywhere.
Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.
-Eleanor Roosevelt 

No comments: